This weekend marked Adele’s second weekend getaway! This time, we headed up the coast to Avila Beach (about 2.5 hours North of Los Angeles). We left after her first feeding in the morning and she slept the whole way up! It’s a gorgeous drive along the ocean and then through Santa Barbara. We love it up there. When we arrived, we found the weather was a good 20* cooler than in LA! Hooray for long sleeves and pants!
We call this the ‘sleeping touchdown’!
She was such a good girl, showing off her good behavior and hamming it up for them. After we settled in for a bit, we headed into downtown Avila for lunch. We landed at the Custom House and it did not disappoint.
Adele let us eat quietly and then decided she wanted to join in on the fun too. It’s amazing to me that even at seven weeks old, she still wants to be a part of the action and she doesn’t want to miss anything! She’s always looking around, trying to take in as much as she can.
Back in the hotel, we rested up, and some of us took a nap. (Again, she preferred the giant bed!) This picture cracks me up. A big fluffy bed, curtains billowing in the wind, and the ocean and palm trees right out the window. She is seriously spoiled!
We took cues from the baby and made it an early night. Adele usually sleeps in her crib in her own room at home, but that night, she stayed in the same room as us in the hotel. We heard every little coo and sigh and she kept waking us up, but she did sleep for 8 solid hours, so we really can’t complain. Ok, I know, we REALLY can’t complain.
—->Insert Nap here!
But let me just give you the bullet point list of how the rest of it went:
- Baby starts crying 1 hour into the drive. Pull over at rest stop to feed her.
- Baby goes back into the car seat
- We hit CRAAAZZZY Traffic on the highway
- Baby starts crying… but we’re not moving!
- Baby starts screaming bloody murder in that “why-do-you-hate-me” kind of wail.
- We get off at the next possible exit… which is FIVE MILES ahead! And we’re maybe moving 2 miles an hour. Maybe.
- Finally get off the highway and pull into a gas station. Adele has pooped….EVERYWHERE. And I’d already used up my ‘emergency onsie’. Mom Fail.
- Clean up baby best we can… feed her a little more.
- Pacifier falls onto the ground at the gas station. Ahhh Mom Fail. AGAIN! No pacifier for you, baby girl! grrr.
- Put white noise on in the car… baby finally falls asleep.
- Arrive home 2.5 hours later than originally planned.
- …..but once we all go to sleep at home… Adele slept for 9 HOURS straight. That’s my girl Alls well that ends well, right?