At my doctor’s appointment last week, we found out I was already 1cm dilated and 80% effaced. My doctor said I’d likely not make it to my due date (June 9th) and that she wouldn’t be surprised if labor started over the weekend or in the coming week. Hearing that, I think I went into shock and Irving turned white as a ghost. This is really going to happen!!!! Of course like all new parents, this news made us SUPER excited and we prepared for a weekend in the hospital. Our house is clean, last minute projects are all complete, bag is completely packed….. and then there were absolutely no signs of labor. I know people could go a week or two after dilation starts before the main event begins, but I was hoping maybe it would start early. I’m not disappointed because clearly the baby needs more time, but I’m just so excited and anxious for the process to begin.
How I’m feeling: I’m on high-alert for any twinges, aches or pains that might be considered labor. Since I have no idea what it will actually feel like, anything out of the ordinary is suspect =) I’ve had quite a bit of lower back pain (Saturday night, it actually woke me up at night because it was so painful and radiating down my legs a little bit). I also have a bunch of little cramps that come and go. (Moms, what was your first early sign of labor??)
My yoga teacher always says “you get the birth you get”, but I’m really hoping I go into labor before my water breaks so I have time to labor at home without the urgency to get to the hospital. My fear is that my water breaks first and that they’ll put me on Pitocin to start the contractions. If it happens, it happens…. but I just really hope it doesn’t.
Weeks along: 38 Weeks
Pounds Gained: 17.5 Total
- Having trouble sleeping this week again. I just flip flop from side to side and nothing feels comfortable. I also think I might have a bit of sciatic pain again because I can’t keep my legs still at night. I try to do a little yoga and stretch to make my legs relax, but sometimes it just doesn’t help.
- The baby dropped last week, but I really noticed it around Wednesday. I can feel the pressure of the baby on my pelvis and hips and I definitely waddle when I walk now because I feel like the baby is just going to come out. My belly all of a sudden feels really heavy and I feel like I have to hold it up sometimes.
- As some of you know, I had cancer 12 years ago, and as a result of some of the chemotherapy drugs, my heart could potentially be a little weaker than most. My doctors have been telling me for over a decade that when/if I ever got pregnant, I’d need to be monitored as a high-risk patient. Throughout my pregnancy, I’ve been seeing a cardiologist and I just found out that all of my ECHO and EKG scans have come back totally normal. (YAY!) This means that I don’t need any special monitoring during delivery and that I’m not at any higher risk than any other healthy woman. <—- So relieved!!
Highlights of the week:
- Craft night with the girls! I made a cute decoration for the baby’s room that Irving is going to hang up for me today! Can’t wait to show you!
- Learning that we could be just days away from meeting our son/daughter!
- Getting kicked so hard in Costco that I yelled “Holy Crap” out loud in the frozen chicken aisle. Baby’s got some muscle!
- Buying (and eating) an entire large watermelon… by myself.
- Going on twice-daily walks around the block (4-5 miles/day).
- The cookie dough ice cream my neighbor brought over. (Oh, man! That was Good!)
- Stocked our freezer with meals for after the baby comes.
- Irving and I took TWO naps this weekend. We really enjoyed our weekend together since it could be the last one before the baby comes!
Goal for this week:
- Have a Baby!!!
Previous Baby Updates:
a billion years ago when I had my baby (aged 20) i started to clean. Lost that lovely disgusting mucus plug and went into the hospital. Doc came around and said I was ready and broke my water. End of story. My baby was a back baby so I not only got to look like a 200 lb water buffalo my entire pregnancy (i looked fat NOT pregnant) but she laid on my sciatica the entire time. Sounds like your pregnancy has been a breeze!
AWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! I guess I probably won’t see you until after baby. I’m so excited!
That is awesome news about the ECHO & EKG. Being high-risk would be so stressful (as if giving birth isn’t a little daunting in itself!)
I love that you bought a whole watermelon and ate it yourself!! It reminds me of our runs!! Remember all of the discussion about cold watermelons and oranges that we would proceed to buy immediately after our trainings?!! LOVE YOU!!
Adorable! You’re always ready until it happens then you panic lol even after 3 kids I still get to the hospital and think what was I thinking when I signed up for this and then it’s all over and none of it matters. You’re gonna do awesome. I was induced with my first so when I had the second I had no clue what labor was going to start as… The mad gush in the Starbucks parking lot answered that question. Don be afraid to over react and call your doc if you think maybe, always better to ask then wait.
I am on my phone and hadn’t read your whole post before leaving that comment. So happy to hear you aren’t considered high risk!! Woohoo healthy mama! Good job taking care of you and baby. PS…I too am thinking BOY. 🙂 Can’t wait to meet him/her and hear their name!!
I like this week’s goal!!! 🙂 we are so excited and rooting for you all over here!!!My first and only sign of labor, really, was my water breaking at home. And no need for Pitocin to start the contractions…they started fast and furious on their own! I actually liked it this way bc there was no need to try to guess when it was time to go to the hospital. And just 12 hours later and our baby boy was here! Keep us posted on your progress! Sending easy breezy, speedy labor vibes your way! Xoxoxo
Oh awesome! So good to know! The guessing game is the worst! =) Crazy to think that once it starts, there is no turning back! Can’t wait to meet baby!!!
Sooo close and I can’t believe the doctor thinks you could go this week. So exciting :). I wish I could tell you what the start of labor feels like but I had to be induced…Little guy wanted to stay in there. So glad to hear that you don’t have to be monitored during labor. Can’t wait to hear if it’s a boy or girl but my guess is BOY! 🙂